The Florida Department of Environmental Protection as well as Florida’s water management districts regulate water reuse.
The details of these regulations are defined in Chapter 62 of the Florida Administrative Code. These details address:
- What edible crops can be irrigated with reuse
- Industrial applications of reuse
- When and how reuse can be disposed of during wet weather periods
- How treatment plants are constructed, operated and permitted
- How reuse water is monitored
- How water policy is implemented, creating a statewide policy that provides guidance for issuing consumptive use permits, for example
Those applying to for a water use permit in Water Resource Caution Areas must produce a feasibility study for reuse alternatives.